Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

New Layout

Made some tweaks to the layout, including blog search bar and some cool links on right margin. Open to any constructive feedback- any thoughts are appreciated. Thnx
Mike

Friday, June 11, 2010

Backin it up

Installment 39 of a classic Mako Restoration


As stiff as those gunnels may be, we still need a bit of heft to support cleats. This pic shows the area we're talking about.


With handle removed, the RAS sander just fit in this tight spot and made quick work of grinding out the high spots.




2 backing plates fashioned from G10 make bomb-proof backing material. The side to be glued was scuffed up with grinder for adhesion.

We mixed up MAS epoxy with 407 microballoons and cab-o-sil to peanut butter consistency. Again the 407 micro-balloon filler really helps this stuff stay put, crucial for overhead applications like this.

Buttered up the bonding side like it's a tile.

Then stuck it like a postage stamp, with some back and forth wiggle to bed it in place.

The excess is a good sign we've got enough glue in there to hold.

We did the exact same procedure on the port quarter.

These quarters are ready for some cleats.



Spotty Gunwales




The remaining epoxy made good filler for fairing patches we've made along the gunnels.







Friday, June 4, 2010

Dings and Dents

Installment 38 of 19ft Mako Restoration

We're primed to restore the inboard sides where the fishboxes used to live. Before we close those sides up though, we mused over aft cleats. Always dangerous to start thinking midway through. "Hmmm...how's that gonna work when we can't reach em? Not very well now is it." Altered plan, let's prep for cleat install before we close up those sides.

In the meantime, we took a walk around the boat. There's a mess of minor crash damage dirtily repaired with 5200. Looks like heck. Time to pull out the grinder and make some patches.


We experimented with MAS resin thickened with cab-o-sil. Some light 6 oz cloth for strength over the small spots.





Scraps of Quadraxial cloth cut to size made excellent patches over larger damage.



Where damage was extensive, we tabbed the topside liner to the hull.




Once this stuff is cured, we'll skim over these areas with filler to even the surface.

Transom tie-in


Our gunnel to transom repair required a little more tweaking. We ground a smooth transition from new to old, and layered some 6 oz cloth to fair the dip with a bit of strength.









While we were at it, we prepped the sides for bonding. The RAS Rotary sander with 24 grit quickly extended the bevel a good 5 inches. These sides are shaping up!




Friday, May 28, 2010

Gunnel Growth

Installment 37 of Mako 19 Restoration



We layered on another Quadraxial cloth over the gunwale/transom cutout. This cloth is great for quick buildup.

The previous application just covered the gap with an inch or two contact along the perimeter. This next cut extends much further forward 6 inches or more.








We wrapped it slightly over the transom.




Finished off with a little stay put mojo.

For the starboard quarter we covered this whole mess over.







2 layers of quadraxial roughly equates to 3 layers of 1708 biaxial cloth. No deflection on these corners at-all. A little touch-up work and we're now ready to build down the sides.


Piercing the nose

Installment 36 of Mako CC Restoration Blog




Previously, we fashioned and bonded in a new penske bow eye backing stem. It's cured rock hard and ready for some hardware. Our job this night among others, was putting a ring on the nose of this boat.

For jewelry, we grabbed a hefty oversized stainless 1/2" boweye. This beefed up version has much wider hole spacing. So to start, we drilled a pilot hole for spacing, then drilled again to size, through hull and penske backer. Penske is super high-density glass impregnated foam. We weren't sure if the penske would compress over time, loosening the backing nuts. To rule out this fear, we cut a rectangular G-10 backing plate for insurance. This is a critical anchor point when trailering, mooring, or heaven forbid receiving an assistance tow. For that reason, we shamelessly way overbuilt it for the long haul. Once Humpty boat is back together again, access to this spot is granted only with persuasion from a saw.


We dry fit everything first and ground down all high spots as needed.


A concoction of West epoxy and 407 thickener mixed to peanut butter consistency made great bedding.














Only trick - sticking it backwards over head without a disaster.

Phew!


With artist cap on, TJ prettied it up from the outside, prep work for when we eventually repaint this beast.





Presto! That should hold the Queen Mary.